Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A letter to Priyamani



The more I look into Raavanan, the movie, the more I admire you for the excellent actor you are Priyamani

To say you were very good as Vennila would be an under statement. Your portrayal as Vennila went beyond my expectation.

We see how much faith the director had in you to have depended on your face and voice, to relate the story of the horrible thing happened to Vennila.

I was struck with an odd feeling when I saw this scene because I think this is the first for our cinema to enact a delicate scene like this, with an unbearable calmness, through the victim and her voice. The director needs to have tremendous confidence in himself and with the actor, you Priyamani. Fantastic.

What is amazing is that the director and the actor came together brilliantly in this scene, to bring out Vennila's pain in a simple narration. But I do not see them. I only see Vennila, who has to repeat what had occurred to her, in spite of the mental and physical pain, she was going through. It really touched my soul Priyamani. Thanks to you, it was educational.

Calmness you emoted, which comes to a person after (a good cry) a devastating trauma and the voice modulation you lend to Vennila for the narration and the body language (movements or lack of it) everything is brilliant. I never thought a scene this delicate can unfold in this manner.

Vennila had to talk about such a sensitive issue out loud, and that too to her brother she respects and loves. She is worried for her brother and for herself also, because she might not be able to handle it, if he gets angry and shouts or goes after them in rage. Brother instead goes into pieces. He was so helpless that he feels the entire world on his shoulders. Director and Veera are amazing here.

Vennila will live in our hearts for a long time to come. Congrats Priyamani and best wishes for all your endeavors in the present and in the future..

No comments:

Post a Comment